Sunday, February 27, 2005

this morning i was orthostatic

i awoke this morning feeling exhausted and a bit sickly, but that is often the case when you have a busy weekend. however, as i got in the shower, things changed. i started getting incredibly dizzy and disoriented. i forgot where i was, what i was doing, and what i was taking a shower for. i felt incapable of doing much of anything because of my confusion, so i somewhat collapsed on the shower floor. now however humorous a mental image that creates for you, it was really not a great feeling this morning. it was one of the most strange things that has ever happened to me. all the while, random words were streaming through my head. they made sense, but they were popping into my head without any sort of cue. it was all spontaneous. i guess i passed out on the floor of the shower for a short time, because i awoke being again disoriented, but i was able to stand up. as i was preparing to turn the water off in the shower, i realized that i didn't know how. i had forgotten how to turn the water off... i was like there wasn't a knob there to control the water - or at least i wasn't seeing it. so i got a little bit panicky, because i knew it really wasn't normal. i didn't know what to do at all. finally, by some miracle, the knob "appeared", although incredibly blurry. i dizzily made my way to it, and fumbled to turn it off. i was really skeptical as to if i would be able to drive to church, much less play drums when i got there. but my condition wore off, and left me with a headache. but i'd rather have a headache than be in the stupor that i was in earlier.

i asked my dad about it when i got home, and he told me that i was probably "orthostatic", which combines two things - being dehydrated, and being heated up rapidly. after quickly getting in the shower after waking up (and not having much fluids lately), all of the blood rushed out of my brain, causing me to experience the things that i did. it wasn't pleasant, but now i know to be much more careful in the future....

the end.

No comments: